April is National Lawn and Garden Month and Earth Day coincidently falls into this month also. Celebrate Lawn and Garden Month and Earth Day with Creative Technology by learning 7 ways to go green at your home. According to MSLK’s Watershed Installation, out of 50 billion bottles of water being bought each year, only 80 percent end up in a landfill. Also, did you know that water costs 1,000 times more than tap water; 2 Liters of tap water a day only costs 50 cents per year!
Do those statistics make you want to learn small, easy ways to make greener choices?
Try implementing three of these tips that you’re not doing already into your daily life and make it a point to do them this year (maybe they’ll become a habit).
- Buy an inexpensive reusable water bottle and stop buying plastic disposable bottles. There are currently 1500 plastic water bottles consumed in 1 second a day in the US!
- Drive the speed limit and combine all your errands for the week into one trip. Live close to your work or the store? Walk or ride a bike to places that are two miles or closer.
- Ask for your bills to be sent by email instead of by mail. Not only is it greener, it’s a sanity saver!
- Have children? Show them The Story of Stuff and discuss the importance of recycling and the impact that your household trash has on landfills.
- Create kitchen towels by making rags out of old towels and t-shirts.
- Plant a garden! If you have room for a garden in your yard, think about how easy and cost efficient it would be to grow your own fruits, herbs and vegetables.
- Purchase a reusable bag at the grocery store you shop at. Reusable bags are easy to store and generally more durable than the plastic bags.
Do you do any of these green tips already? Which ones are you and your family going to focus on this year? Creative Technology wants you to celebrate Lawn and Garden Month as well as Earth Day this April.